Distinguished Lecturer Guidelines
Guidelines and Instructions of Organizing a Distinguished Lecturer Tour
The CESoc Distinguished Lecturer Program (DLP) provides a service to support the CESoc Chapters with high qualified distinguished lecturers specialized on various aspects of consumer electronics and to deliver technical seminars and workshops. While presentations to groups outside of the CESoc and the IEEE are encouraged, the DLP is not intended to be used for national or international CESoc symposiums, conferences, regional conventions, local colloquiums, trade shows, or commercial seminars.
The distinguished lectures are organized not only to benefit the existing CESoc Chapters and their members, but they can also be effective in generating membership and encouraging the formation of new CESoc chapters. Where possible a group of geographically adjacent chapters are encouraged to coordinate with the DL Chair in arranging schedules that cover the region.
The DLP can be arranged in response to a request from one or more CESoc Chapter Chairs.
DLs can be approved for either Regional or International visits; chapters should work with the DL and the DL Chair to optimize the resources.
Distinguished Lecturer Engagements are subsidized
- To support the activities of the CESoc Chapters, each Distinguished Lecturer may present to several chapters a maximum of six subsidized or shared expense lectures each year. The CESoc will reimburse Distinguished Lecturer's travel expenses for approved speaking engagements up to a recommended limit of $750 per engagement, but this is subject to negotiation and program budget constraints. When travel expenses for any single trip will exceed this amount, before making travel arrangements the Distinguished Lecturer must obtain prior approval from the CESoc Distinguished Lecturer Program Chair and the CESoc President.
- In addition, the CESoc will reimburse the Distinguished Lecturers up to $1000 per engagement for presentations to CESoc Chapters overseas (specifically, on a continent other than the speaker's home continent). Since budget constraints permit few of these trips per year, each trip must be approved in advance by the Distinguished Lecturer Program Chair and the CESoc President.
- Sharing of expenses between the benefiting Chapter/Section and the CESoc is encouraged. For example, the benefiting CESoc Chapter(s) could provide refreshment for the meeting, local transportation for the Lecturer, or meals, and or accommodation.
Scheduling a Distinguished Lecturer by the CESoc Chapter Chair(s):
- Review lecturers and topics list available on the CESoc website under DL Program, select the topic that is interested for your chapter members. Then contact the Distinguished Lecturer directly to arrange for the engagement and determine:
- Date, time, and location of the engagement.
- Name and affiliation of benefiting
- Estimated audience size and type (engineers? students?)
- Topic lecturer will present
- Discuss what logistical needs can be provided by benefiting CESoc Chapter(s), e.g., ground transportation, some meals, accommodation, refreshment, handout copying, other shared expenses, etc.)
- Estimated cost of lecturer’s air fare (economy class).
- Principal benefiting CESoc Chapter contact.
- Contact lecturer again at least 1 or 2 weeks before engagement to confirm arrangements and to deal with any last minute details.
- Fill out the “Application Request by IEEE CESoc Chapter Chairs for IEEE CESoc Distinguished Lecturer Tour”.
- Send the DLP Chair the Application Request for review and approval.
- Once the Application Request approved, create a DL Seminar invitation announcement and send it to your chapter members, local engineers and students. And also have the announcement posted on your CESoc Chapter's website and/or Section’s website.
- The announcement can include the following:
- Topic of the DL talk
- DL Speaker name
- Date, time, and location
- DL Abstract
- DL Speaker’s Bio
DL Program Chair:
Gordana Velikic, RT-RK Institute for Computer-Based Systems, Novi Sad Serbia, Gordana.Velikic@rt-rk.com